Article I – Name
Article II – Purpose
The purpose of this Organization is to work for the well-being of all Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRCs) including:
- To share information among Residents Associations on matters of interest and concern.
- To monitor, to seek to influence and promote the enactment and enforcement of laws and regulations which pertain to Continuing Care Retirement Communities.
- To survey and report findings to all CCRC members on selected procedures developed in member CCRCs across the state that affect the safety, well-being and best practices in their communities.
Article III – Membership
- Every Resident Association of a Continuing Care Retirement Community certified by the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs shall be eligible to be a member of this organization and shall be a member by paying the annual dues.
- Every member Resident Association shall have one vote on all matters calling for a vote. Votes shall be cast by the President of the respective associations or by the designated representative.
- The member associations of the Continuing Care Retirement Communities shall be divided into geographical districts. The assignments may be changed at the discretion of the Executive Committee.
Article IV – Officers
- The President shall preside at all regular meetings of the Organization and of the Executive Committee. In the absence of the President, a Regional Vice President shall preside as President.
- The President, with the consent of the Executive Committee, shall appoint all committee members and their Chairpersons other than the Nominating Committee.
- The Vice Presidents shall maintain contact with the member associations of the Continuing Care Retirement Communities in their respective districts toward the goal of enabling the Organization of Residents Associations of New Jersey to better serve their interests. In addition, they shall seek to inform nonmember associations of CCRCs in their districts of the purpose of the Organization of Residents Associations and invite them into Membership.
- The Secretary shall take the minutes at all regular Executive and semi-annual meetings and deal with all correspondence. The Treasurer shall deal with all financial transactions pertaining to the business of the Organization. If there is only a Secretary/Treasurer, then that person shall assume both responsibilities.
- In the absence or inability of the President to serve, the Vice-Presidents shall appoint one of their number to perform the duties of the President.
- In the event that any office other than that of President becomes vacant, the President, with the consent of the Executive Committee, shall designate a person to fill that office until the next election.
Article V – Committees
- The Executive Committee shall consist of the officers of the Organization, the committee chairpersons, and the Immediate Past President. All these members shall have a vote at all meetings of the Executive Committee. The President may appoint a non-voting chairperson of an ad hoc committee to be a temporary nonvoting member of the Executive Committee, but only for the duration of the ad hoc committee.
- The Executive Committee shall have the power to act between regular meetings of the Organization and shall report all such actions at the next regular meeting of the Organization. The President with the approval of the Executive Committee shall prepare the agenda for each meeting of the Organization.
- When determining a quorum for the Executive Committee meetings, Past Presidents shall not be included in any count.
- Committees shall be established by the Executive Committee and may be dissolved, replaced, or reorganized by that committee.
- The President may appoint an ad hoc committee and chairperson with the consent of the Executive Committee to examine a particular topic or conduct a survey. The chairperson shall report progress to every regular meeting of the Executive Committee.
- With the consent of the Executive Committee, the President may appoint a person who does not reside in a Continuing Care Retirement Community to fill a vacated Standing Committee chair position on an interim basis, without voting rights, until a CCRC resident member of ORANJ petitions for the position and is approved by the Executive Committee.
- A Nominating Committee of three members shall be appointed by the Executive Committee by June 1 of any year in which an election is necessary. One member shall be designated chairperson.
- The committee shall nominate all officers. Suggestions for candidates shall be submitted in writing to the Nominating Committee by July 1.
- At least thirty days before the October regular meeting the Nominating Committee shall notify the Secretary of the slate of candidates.
- Additional nominations for officers may be made from the floor at the October regular meeting with the consent of the nominee.
Article VI – Meetings
- There shall be at least two regular meetings of the members of the Organization each year, one in April and the other in October. These meetings shall normally be held on the third Wednesday of these months and shall be called to order at 10:00 a.m. The Executive Committee has the authority to change the date and time of these meetings. Special meetings may be called at any time at the discretion of the Executive Committee.
- A quorum at an Organization meeting shall consist of a designated representative present from fifty per cent of the member CCRCs. At a committee meeting, a quorum shall consist of at least fifty per cent of a committee membership. (See Article IX)
Article VII – Parliamentary Authority
Article VIII – Amendments
Article IX – Definitions
As approved by the Executive Committee on February 19, 2003.
As approved by the Spring Meeting, April 16, 2003.
As amended and approved by the Spring Meeting, April 21, 2004.
As amended and approved by the Fall Meeting, October 20, 2004.
As amended and approved by the Fall Meeting, October 19, 2005.
As amended and approved by the Spring Meeting, April 16, 2014.
As amended and approved by the Fall Meeting, October 21, 2015.